Re: RFD: Essential packages, /, and /usr

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 12:35:27PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 02:55:23PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > Anyway, there are already plenty of tools in /bin capable of performing
> > the task of cut(1).
> Sure.

So why waste everyone's time discussing it rather than just using sed
or /bin/sh and getting on with your life?

> The set of files provided by Debian's Essential packages is, in
> fact, minimal.

Depends what you mean. ddate, dpkg, dselect, factor, find, mawk, perl,
sort, tr, tsort, uniq, update-rc.d, whoami, xargs, and yes are all
in essential packages and in /usr/bin. Essential packages are the ones
needed to maintain a Debian system; utilities in /bin and /sbin are ones
needed to recover a system.

> Are you suggesting that we substitute your judgement of
> what is "minimal" for the Debian Policy Manual's?

People like Herbert's judgement is what was used to write the policy
manual.

> I'm CCing debian-policy as a means of RFD.  I invite your participation
> if you have something to contribute beyond "don't do that, then."

Sometimes "so don't do that, then" is the right answer.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif