Re: Architecture strings Was: [rms@gnu.org: Re: PATCH: gcc-3.1/criteria.html]

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Ok, now that we separate woody and unstable, it is time to think about
> this. IMO, this is not a gcc only thing. So propably it should be
> changed in dpkg/policy first. debian-<cpu>-linux-gnu and
> <cpu>-linux-gnu come to mind as an alternative.
>
> Ben Collins writes:
> > Just a heads up on what is about to happen. RMS is complaining that we
> > use "<cpu>-linux" instead of "<cpu>-linux-gnu". I know there's a lot of

Great. Now I might have a hell of a time to get dpkg-architecture to do the
right thing for DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE and DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE...  Might as well
speak up now, while there is still time.

Do please notice we have (at least) *TWO* classes of arch identification
strings.  What RMS seems to be asking us to do is to change all of them to
have '-gnu'. That is *NOT* what I am talking about.

IMHO we should just fix the *_GNU_TYPE arch ids in dpkg-architecture (and
any other place that uses them) to return arch-vendor-linux-gnu like they
are supposed to be in the first place in Linux-based Debian (HINT: it has to
return the correct canonic type for that machine-OS combination, as used by
GNU config, aka config.sub and config.guess).  And leave DEB_HOST_TYPE and
DEB_BUILD_TYPE to the current in-use format "arch-kernel", because that is
what we use for real in the archive anyway.

> > that the whole system is "Linux".  For our sake, please change this.

Well, if he can ask it like that, so can I.

For MY sake as the autotools-dev maintainer, and for the sake of future
cross-building setups we might need, please change DEB_*GNU_TYPE to return
the proper names, which happen to be postfixed by -gnu.  Bugs to this effect
have been filled in the BTS for a while, now.

Actually, I hope the proper DEB*GNU_TYPE strings are also enough to make RMS
happy, because AFAIK we have no technical reason to change DEB_HOST_TYPE and
DEB_BUILD_TYPE unless we are actually going to have non-GNU-based Debian
systems around...  Maybe we should ask the BSD Debian porting project about
this.

  Henrique Holschuh