Re: init.d scripts and LSB

>>"Miquel" == Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> writes:

 Miquel> According to Grant Bowman:
 >> * Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> [020507 09:07]:
 >> > If your package is a .lsb package, then it should follow the LSB.
 >> > However, it appears your package is a .deb package, so why should
 >> > it follow the LSB?

 >> We had this discussion already and you didn't answer my last post in
 >> January.  I have read a different interpretation of the LSB
 >> specification than you have.  Any comment?

 Miquel> No. Perhaps our interpretations are different. So be it. I just
 Miquel> happen to think that my interpretation is the right one.

	I strongly agree. I also read the package format of chapter 13
 of the LSB. It states:

                       Chapter 13. Software Installation

                                 Package Format

   Applications should be provided in the RPM packaging format as defined in
   the appendix of Maximum RPM, with some restrictions listed below.[1]
  Notes

   [1] Some versions of RPM may produce packages which contain extensions or
       modifications to the RPM package format beyond what has been
       documented in the appendix of the Maximum RPM book. An LSB-conformant
       package must not contain any of these extensions, in order to assure
       interoperability with the largest number of versions of RPM and
       packaging systems which understand how to import RPM format packages.

	You really think we must abandon .deb package format and
 switch over to rpm's for LSB conformance?  You think the LSB has a
 snowballs chance in hell of succeeding if they mandate that (which I
 believe they do not)?

	manoj
--
 "I don't practice what I preach, because I'm not the kind of person
 I'm preaching to." "Bob" Dobbs