Re: only release packages that have maintainers?

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 07:56:04PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>
> > Anyone have comments on the idea that the only packages we should release are
> > ones that have a maintainer, not Debian QA?

This isn't such a bad idea.

> Then I'll adopt all the packages that don't have a maintainer and send
> RFAs for them (like I did with several of the packages tbm wanted to
> remove). But I take care about them when the maintainer is set to Debian
> QA, too, so I can't see the big difference.

Yes, well as I've said to tbm, 1) adopting a package just to 'save'
it, without really caring/wanting it just perpetuates old crufty
packages in Debian, while some of these ancient neglected packages
are just.. neglected, others are genuinely useless I think,
otherwise would someone not have cared, and grabbed it?

Which brings me to 2) can we get rid of more of these old crufty
ones? Everyone is so afraid do this, else they'll get flamed for
being evil and removing old packages! indeed the impertinence.

I'd give some examples from the BTS but I don't feel like waiting.

--
Brian Russo      <brusso@phys.hawaii.edu>
Debian/GNU Linux <wolfie@debian.org> http://www.debian.org