Re: Frozen distribution?

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 01:38:11PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Actually there are two reasons why unstable should change just for the
> freeze. They're complementary.
>
> If you don't fork frozen (ie, maintain unstable and frozen independently),
> then if you upload major changes to unstable, you've stopped yourself
> from being able to upload minor bugfix updates to frozen (since they're
> not forked, you'd have to upload it to unstable, which has already been
> majorly changed).
> [...]
> The easiest solution that I can think of (ie, that doesn't cause difficult
> to detect breakage, and that doesn't involve further significant changes
> or too much awkwardness) is, during the freeze, to just upload major
> changes to experimental, and bugfix updates to unstable.
> [...]
>
> I'd like to avoid manually processing uploads where possible though (which
> is what traditional freezes involve), and ideally use a minimum number of
> suites (stable, testing, unstable, experimental). But if people have other
> suggestions, or, even better, clever tweaks to the above, that'd be cool.

Why suddenly change the model like this?  Would the following not be
better and perhaps less confusing, still using a four-tier setup:

stable   frozen   testing   unstable

Initially, frozen is set to be the same as testing, and we can allow a
two-week period for testing to catch up to unstable as things are
built for multiple arches etc.  Then during the freeze, uploads to
frozen get installed into testing, if there are no problems, they get
moved into frozen.  Then stable and unstable continue as before.  I
think that it saves people having to start using (and abusing)
experimental.

I'm not convinced by this model, though.  It should work if we ensure
that
(a) Major packages are installed into testing before the freeze, and
(b) People believe that the next freeze is not going to be another 18
    months away.

   Julian

         Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
       Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://people.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/