Re: Frozen distribution?

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 04:29:33PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > During the run-up to a release, will "testing" become "frozen", or
> > will we have four versions: stable, frozen, testing (continuously
> > changing), unstable?  We should modify the policy document to describe
> > the current practice.
>
> There is no "current practice" yet, really.
> I propose two different ways to do the freeze:
>
> 1. Create frozen between testing and unstable, initially as a copy of testing.
> 2. Create frozen between testing and unstable, initially as a copy of unstable.

Surely 2 defeats the whole purpose of testing?  My question was: will
there be a frozen or not during the freeze:

Possibility 1: We freeze testing and allow it to stabilise, allowing
upgraded packages into testing only if they are deemed necessary by
the release manager, then we release testing as the new stable.
Finally, after the release, we start allowing the unstable -> testing
flow again.

Possibility 2: Your possibility 1, so that there are four
distributions during the freeze; testing continues to carefully follow
unstable, and frozen is, well ... frozen.

It's really a question for the release manager.

   Julian

         Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
       Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://people.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/