Re: Frozen distribution?

Julian Gilbey wrote:
> During the run-up to a release, will "testing" become "frozen", or
> will we have four versions: stable, frozen, testing (continuously
> changing), unstable?  We should modify the policy document to describe
> the current practice.

There is no "current practice" yet, really.
I propose two different ways to do the freeze:

1. Create frozen between testing and unstable, initially as a copy of testing.
2. Create frozen between testing and unstable, initially as a copy of unstable.

* In both cases, new packages would be uploaded to unstable only,
except when they fix bugs and are not new upstream releases, in which
case they are uploaded to "frozen unstable". This would preserve
backwards compatibility on the developer side (i.e. no changes in the way
we write changelog entries during the freeze).

* In both cases, packages in unstable no longer propagate to testing.
Instead, good packages (in sync for the six archs and without rc bugs)
are propagated from frozen to testing.

At day D, we release testing as stable, not frozen.