Re: Question about native packages

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Siggi Langauf wrote:

> > If your package isn't a native package you can still include the debian/
> > subdirectory in your upstream sources.
>
> Right.
>
> > There are only two differences compared to a native packge:
> > - The version number is 0.3.6-1 instead of 0.3.6 .
>
> Aha. There doesn't have to be a .diff.gz??

You can simply untar your xine_0.3.6.orig.tar.gz and run dpkg-buildpackage
and you'll get a xine_0.3.6-1.diff.gz that is empty.

> > - There's a separate Debian changelog besides the upstream changelog (that
> >   doesn't tell the user about FreeBSD changes when he upgrades the package
> >   as xine currently does).
>
> Aehm, and it wouldn't tell the user about new subtitle support, AC3
> digital out support, the new contrast/brightness dialog, etc. Does that
> really make sense?

Noone prevents you from writing about upstream changes in the Debian
changelog, but it looks a bit funny when I see changes in the FreeBSD port
[1] when upgrading my Debian package.

> There's something else implicated by a non-native package: It's a clear
> statement that "Debian is different", something many non-Debian users told
> me they don't like about Debian...

Where do non-Debian users see if the package is a native Debian package or
not and where does it make a difference?

> 	Siggi

cu,
Adrian

[1] I'm using apt-listchanges