Re: Native packages, broken uploads, and debian policy

 Henrique> On Sat, 03 Feb 2001, Brian May wrote:
 >> So obviously 1 is not relevant but 2 still is. eg. consider a package
 >> that was built against a buggy library, and the package has to be
 >> rebuilt in order to fix the problem. No source needs to change, so
 >> updating the version number is (IMHO) an overkill.

 Henrique> Well, you're right in the overkill comment, but I wonder
 Henrique> what would be better in the long run: make it easy to
 Henrique> detect broken packaging (everything gets dumped into the
 Henrique> .tar.gz, which requires a full source upload in the next
 Henrique> version or revision -- and if the maintainer doesn't
 Henrique> notice, the next, and the next, and the next...), or keep
 Henrique> the possibility of adding debian revisions to native
 Henrique> packages.

	Or rather than complicating the packaging system, simplify it
 by treating these packages for which it is undesirable to upload the
 sources for a small change in packaging to be treated exactly like
 non-native packages: have a upstream version, a diff, and a debian
 revision. only the diff and the debian revision changes with the new
 upload, and we need not make any changes in the packaging tools.

	It also helps in releasing the native package to the rest of
 the world as a orig.tar.gz tarball.

	manoj
--
Q: How do you shoot a blue elephant?  A: With a blue-elephant gun.  Q:
How do you shoot a pink elephant?  A: Twist its trunk until it turns