Re: Question about native packages

On Sun, 04 Feb 2001, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
> > Native is best choosen for packages which are not expected to be used
> > outside of Debian, btw. If I were xine's upstream, I'd package it as
> > non-native.  The non-native format is more flexible.
>
>  Packaging it native is a perfectly valid thing to do, even better than
> nonnative. Why? Because the Debian packaging files can be used by anyone,
> not just Debian. Just as the .spec files are now included in many packages.

Obviously I mean distribute the software as .tar.gz, and a debian package
with the .tar.gz renamed to .orig.tar.gz + diif and dsc files).

See also the comment somewhere else in this thread about branches when you
need to fix something in stable. This is not an issue if it is a
for-debian-only package, as you would keep that in mind and once, say,
version a.b.c goes into stable, you'd release a.d.0 into unstable, so that
you can continue the a.b.# branch if you need to generate stable revisions.
For non-debian-only packages, that way lies madness (one stable branch due
to bugs in Debian, another due to bugs in RedHat, another due to bugs in
*BSD...).

Non-native IS more flexible. It was designed to be more flexible. I would
still package stuff I am upstream (and not debian specific) as non-native,
just for that reason.

  Henrique Holschuh