Re: Directing Debian users to use project BTSes - should we?

nick@debian.org (Nicolas Lichtmaier) wrote:

> No, all bugs should be reported to Debian ...

I don't think that we should be in the business of telling anyone where
they should submit their bug reports.  If the user wishes to deal with
the upstream developers directly, that is his or her prerogative.

> ... (with the exception of a few very actively developed - alpha/beta
> quality packages like mozilla).

True, and I would like to add a comment.  I maintain some packages that
come in two versions: a stable "released" version, and a "developer's"
version.  In the package description of the developer's version, I
clearly state that *I* do not support this software.  I will support
the released version, but the user installs the developer's version at
his own risk.  (I don't have time to fix bugs in code that changes so
frequently.)  Therefore, I encourage users of this version to report
all bugs upstream, where active development is taking place.  This is
more efficient, since communication doesn't get bogged down with our
BTS.  (And believe me, in the years I've been a developer, I've seen
communication get bogged down because of forwarding DBTS reports.)

IMHO, this is a case in which it is entirely appropriate to skip our
BTS, and I hope that you agree.

- Brian