Re: Directing Debian users to use project BTSes - should we?

> > No, all bugs should be reported to Debian ...
> I don't think that we should be in the business of telling anyone where
> they should submit their bug reports.  If the user wishes to deal with
> the upstream developers directly, that is his or her prerogative.

 Of course, but Debian has a way to work that involves receiving bug
reports. Debian developers should encourage users to report bugs to us. The
idea of "if it's a bug in the software -> upstream, if it's Debian packaging
-> Debian BTS" it's wrong and users shouldn't be told that.

> > ... (with the exception of a few very actively developed - alpha/beta
> > quality packages like mozilla).
> True, and I would like to add a comment.  I maintain some packages that
> come in two versions: a stable "released" version, and a "developer's"
> version.  In the package description of the developer's version, I
> clearly state that *I* do not support this software.  I will support
> the released version, but the user installs the developer's version at
> his own risk.  (I don't have time to fix bugs in code that changes so
> frequently.)  Therefore, I encourage users of this version to report
> all bugs upstream, where active development is taking place.  This is
> more efficient, since communication doesn't get bogged down with our
> BTS.  (And believe me, in the years I've been a developer, I've seen
> communication get bogged down because of forwarding DBTS reports.)
>
> IMHO, this is a case in which it is entirely appropriate to skip our
> BTS, and I hope that you agree.

 Yes, I agree. But this applies in just a few cases.