Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

Do we really need to actuall include the GPL in every .deb containing
GPL code?  Just because there's a server where the .debs can be
downloaded by themselves?  Does this also extend to a server with
source tree - e.g. since I can make a copy of a single .h file, must
it include the GPL too?  Same thing, isn't it?

I believe RMS is being a bit disingenous here.  Debian is a very
political distribution, but it also has in its statutes a clause about
being as useful as possible.  Let's not forget this!  (Goes for the
non-free discussion as well)

As it is now, GPL is (IIRC) part of the base-files package.  Perhaps
it could be its own package, and all packages including GPL code could
dependend on it?  Although I'm not sure it is possible to have
a Debian system without base-files, .debs might be installed on
non-debian or customized systems.

With an explicit dependency tools like apt-get, dselect and alien
would complain loudly if I install it without the license.  You can
still download the .deb and dpkg --force or whatever, but at least you
have to go out of your way to do it.

If you include the GPL with every package, chances are that people
will simply delete all instances - it is certainly simpler than
jumping through hoops to avoid installing the license package.

Just my $0.02

-kzm