Re: [PROPOSAL] Origin and Bugs support

On Nov 26, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > Debian has its own BTS. WTF would you want a Debian package use an
> > alternative BTS? It is either a real part of the distribution and should
> > be treated as such, or not.
>
> The Origin tag should declare what vendor the package came from - in this
> case that is clearly Debian. Setting it to anything else is wrong and
> misleading.
>
> I think the rational that test/beta packages be able to not use our the
> BTS is quite fair.

If a package is not an official part of the distribution, IMHO the
Origin tag should be omitted.  (Which perhaps suggests that dinstall
should actually add Origin and Bugs tags to Debian packages at install
time, rather than individual maintainers doing it at build time.)

Anyway, here's how reportbug treats things as of 1.5; YMMV:

- If we find an Origin that we recognize (i.e. in lowercase, it's a
valid argument to the -B option), we use internal defaults for that
origin in handling the package.  (Debian falls into this category.)

- If we find an Origin that we acquire at runtime (i.e. it's the name
of a file in /etc/dpkg/origins), we use whatever's in that file.

- If we find neither, we look for a Bugs tag.  We obey it if it's a
mailto or debbugs URL (submit-only).

- If nothing is found, we punt and use whatever the user supplies as
their default sendto address (rootboy@ourlan.net for example), or
failing that, their default BTS.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> -  http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Computer Systems Manager (Physics & Astronomy, 125 Lewis, 662-915-5765)
Instructor, POL 101      (Political Science, 208 Deupree, 662-915-5949)