Re: policy for menu hints

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 02:11:51AM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:

> Are you also proposing that the hints default be hint_optimse=true?

Not at this point, possibly not ever.  The fact that hint optimization
can cause items to jump from one menu to another as (other) packages
are added and removed is something that's probably too confusing for a
novice, and defaults are (generally) meant for novices.

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 01:43:24AM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:

> > Are you saying you've actually seen 'hints="3d"' for some game?  If
> > so, I'll definitely add it to my list.  I want to document existing
> > practice as much as anything here.  Do you remember which game it was?

> My own, naturally :-) - Bzflag; yadex and lxdoom also have that hint.
> I'm not sure if yadex really fits but whatever.

Hmm, well I'm not going to worry about strict enforcement at this
point.  We don't even really have strict enforcement for primary menu
categories, really, so not much point.

(I wonder if I should add that hint to my battleball package, which is
3d, but not GL-based....  Hmm....  Maybe I should raise the question
on d-devel-games.)

I did think I knew about all the hints in use so far, and apparently I
was wrong, so perhaps I should post a wider call for people to send me
the hints they're using before I go any farther.  Thanks for bringing
this to my attention.

As so often happens, the task I've set myself turns out to be bigger
than expected.  Ah well, that's what keeps life entertaining.  :-)

cheers