Re: policy for menu hints

Anand: if you're going to set Reply-to: on your email, try not to make
typos  -- the message I'm replying to had "debian-polict" instead of
"debian-policy".

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 07:39:25PM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:

> Interestingly hints seems to override section. Example which I noticed
> is xpvm which has:

Hints definitely do not override section -- email me offlist if you
want my feeble attempt at an explanation.  :-)

> > So far, most X11 clock programs now include the "Clocks" hint, and
> > most Gnome and KDE packages do or will include "Gnome" and "KDE"
> > hints, respectively.

> I have most (all as far I know) Gnome stuff installed from Potato
> but I didn't see any of the menus generate sub-menus.

No, this is all brand new, only in Woody, and only as of the last few
days (at least as far as gnome/kde hints go).

> For me, though, Apps/Net and Apps/Tools always seem to be overfull.

> How about: Mail, News and Web hints for Apps/Net

Very good suggestions; I will use those.  However, I would point out
that it's not "for Apps/Net" per se.  If a package should have a hint,
it should have that hint no matter what menu it goes in by default.

> (the problem I see is some applications fit into multiple categories
> -- I haven't seen how menu handles that).

It will vary, but in general, it will try to do the right thing.  Of
course, as a program, it has a somewhat limited concept of "the right
thing".

> I couldn't come up with any suggestions for App/Tools hints.

Hints should be independent of the primary menu categories in any
case.  And I don't want to try to force hints -- they should, IMO, be
categories that make sense, but for which we don't want to *force* new
submenus.  Not artificial categories created specifically to solve
overcrowding in our existing menus.  Although I confess that I did
invent the "Clocks" hint purely because of App/Tools.

(Since most people don't use the hints feature, it wouldn't really
help to force hints for Apps/Tools entries in any case.)

> One other hints I noticed was "3d" in the Games/Arcade. Perhaps
> recommend that as a hint for games which are 3d in nature (or
> use OpenGL?)

Are you saying you've actually seen 'hints="3d"' for some game?  If
so, I'll definitely add it to my list.  I want to document existing
practice as much as anything here.  Do you remember which game it was?

> No objections but you may want to clarify the intent of Apps/Viewers.

Completely outside the province of my pending proposal, which only
deals with hints.

cheers