Re: CDDB db grand unifaction

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 04:18:47PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Dave Swegen wrote:
> > What I would like to see is a policy covering how cddb-capable programs
> > should behave. Perhaps this is outside the scope of Debian, but if it
> > isn't, and there seems to be some interest I would be happy to put
> > together some sort of proposal. I guess that it would require that all
> > programs use ~/.cddb/ for user dbs, and /var/cddb for system-wide dbs.
>
> I once made a cddb package for that very purpose.. it's made from the
> xmcd sources and has /var/lib/cddb (iirc) and a tool to manage the
> database.

Which seems like a sensible way of placing the files. Of course the
problem is that packages can place the dbs wherever they like, and to
some extent in whatever format they like. Which is bad, IMHO. Just
because you switch CD player your entire db shouldn't have to be moved,
or worse, become useless.

Cheers
	Dave