Re: New packaging manual draft

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  Joey>  the line.  Horizontal whitespace (spaces and tabs) may occur before or
>  Joey>  after the value and is ignored there; it is conventional to put a
>  Joey>  single space after the colon.
>
>  Joey> Is the space before the colon truely optional?  I expect
>  Joey> there's some broken code out there if so. RFC 822 does allow
>  Joey> it. I
>
> 	Umm, what space before the colon? We say it has a neme, a
>  colon (see, no space), and a value. The value may have spaces aroud it
>  (that would be after the colon). What am I missing?

Sorry, I was referring to the space after the colon.

>  Joey> think you should point to that RFC in that section BTW, even
>  Joey> though control file format varies from it in several ways.
>
> 	Color me puzzled. If we are so different from teh RFC, why
>  should we mention it?

We're not really that different. The rfc allows any line to be wrapped,
we do not.

>  Joey> The list of distributions values and their descriptions seem
>  Joey> out of place.  In several places it seems to be talking to the
>  Joey> end user.
>
> 	I have updated the list to use the same syntax as the policy
>  manual, and put it into a footnote, so this is now
>  informational. This paves the way for totally new formats of
>  distributions and sections with the poackage pool ;-)

Good.

>  Joey> While section 5.4 is of course very useful and important information, I
>  Joey> question the value of including it in policy.
>
>  	It specifies under what circumstances the scripts are called,
>  and what the maitnainer script writers are expected to
>  handle. Inclusion here makes it a standard public API, and would
>  require a public peer review to change.
>

>  Joey> If someone decides to go make dpkg even more robust, and deal
>  Joey> with problems after that point and manage to back off after
>  Joey> that point, it would be technically in violation of policy. I
>  Joey> see no reason to put such a damper on future progress.
>
> 	I do not think that this is meant to be a fault of the
>  packaging system. There has to be a point of no return -- and this
>  documents where that point is. I would much rather have a well known
>  point of no return -- and perhaps code accordingly, than not.

But my point is that this is an implementation detail. I can envision
systems that have no point of return, and can always be rolled back
(think journaling filesystems).

--
see shy jo