Re: New packaging manual draft

>>"Joey" == Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

 Joey> I've seen some typos and typographical errors but I won't
 Joey> bother to detail them at this point.

	I have now run the manual thriguh ispell, so things should be
 better. A new version resides, as usual, at the location:
 http://master.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/new-packaging.txt

 Joey>  Each paragraph is a series of fields and values; each field consists
 Joey>  of a name, followed by a colon and the value.  It ends at the end of
 Joey>  the line.  Horizontal whitespace (spaces and tabs) may occur before or
 Joey>  after the value and is ignored there; it is conventional to put a
 Joey>  single space after the colon.

 Joey> Is the space before the colon truely optional?  I expect
 Joey> there's some broken code out there if so. RFC 822 does allow
 Joey> it. I

	Umm, what space before the colon? We say it has a neme, a
 colon (see, no space), and a value. The value may have spaces aroud it
 (that would be after the colon). What am I missing?

 Joey> think you should point to that RFC in that section BTW, even
 Joey> though control file format varies from it in several ways.

	Color me puzzled. If we are so different from teh RFC, why
 should we mention it?

	I have fixed the wording about things being two characters
 long.

 Joey> The list of distributions values and their descriptions seem
 Joey> out of place.  In several places it seems to be talking to the
 Joey> end user.

	I have updated the list to use the same syntax as the policy
 manual, and put it into a footnote, so this is now
 informational. This paves the way for totally new formats of
 distributions and sections with the poackage pool ;-)

 Joey> Oh yeah, the timeframes (4 month release cycle, 4 week freezes)
 Joey> in this text are ludicrously optimistic. Just another
 Joey> indication, I think, that the text in the distribution list
 Joey> descriptions doesn't belong in policy at all.

	 I removed the time frames.

 Joey> In the section on changelogs, when it shows the format, the asterisks
 Joey> are not indented, while it later says they must be indented by 2 spaces.
 Joey> Also, the "--" line looks indented wrong (in w3m anyway).

 Joey> While section 5.4 is of course very useful and important information, I
 Joey> question the value of including it in policy.

 	It specifies under what circumstances the scripts are called,
 and what the maitnainer script writers are expected to
 handle. Inclusion here makes it a standard public API, and would
 require a public peer review to change.

 Joey> If someone decides to go make dpkg even more robust, and deal
 Joey> with problems after that point and manage to back off after
 Joey> that point, it would be technically in violation of policy. I
 Joey> see no reason to put such a damper on future progress.

	I do not think that this is meant to be a fault of the
 packaging system. There has to be a point of no return -- and this
 documents where that point is. I would much rather have a well known
 point of no return -- and perhaps code accordingly, than not.

 Joey> I have similar problems with parts of sections 5.5 and 5.6.

	Similarily, I thik these make the API's standard.

 Joey> Ok, I lost steam here, will continue later.

	Thanks for your input

	manoj
--
 "What a waste it is to lose one's mind -- or not to have a mind at
 all. How true that is." -- V.P. Dan Quayle, garbling the United Negro