Re: New packaging manual draft

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 05:35:35AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Joey" == Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
>
>  Joey>  the line.  Horizontal whitespace (spaces and tabs) may occur before or
>  Joey>  after the value and is ignored there; it is conventional to put a
>  Joey>  single space after the colon.
>
>  Joey> Is the space before the colon truely optional?  I expect
>  Joey> there's some broken code out there if so. RFC 822 does allow
>  Joey> it. I
>
> 	Umm, what space before the colon? We say it has a neme, a
>  colon (see, no space), and a value. The value may have spaces aroud it
>  (that would be after the colon). What am I missing?

    I think the confusion lies in the "Horizontal whitespace" line;
whitespace before the colon is certainly whitespace before the value.
To make it clearer, perhaps it should read "may occur immediately
before or after the value".

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.