Re: Updating policy

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 02:47:46AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  	I am kind of concerned about this, just like Julian was, with
>  regards to upgrading all the packages to the new method. As I still
>  am smarting from the /usr/doc fiasco, having a proper transition plan
>  is perhaps as important as changing policy.

I agree.

We need to set up a staging area for all the libraries, fix them all, and
once every one of them is set up correctly, make a mass upload to Incoming.
That is how things were done with the last big GNOME upgrade, and it worked
just fine. The last Perl transition succeeded (more or less) without a
staging area, due to loads of NMUs done by Raphael Hertzog, but even so a
lot of things broke and lots of bug reports were filed while he was doing
it.