Re: priority of x-window-manager

From: Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu>
Subject: Re: priority of x-window-manager
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 09:37:42 -0500

> Again, it seems to me that you're talking about localization, not
> internationalization.  Let me give you an example since we seem to be
> talking past each other on this point:

(snip)

> See what I mean?  Just because a program has been internationalized, and
> thus is ABLE to support various localizations, doesn't mean it has been
> localized.  Pretend that example 2 is somehow a window manager.  It's well
> and good for English, French, and German speakers, but it does no good to
> promote that program as being favored generally, especially for a Spanish
> user.  The program does not address Spanish localization, so it isn't any
> better for a Spanish-speaker than an uninternationalized English program.

You use terminology very rigorously and I use it very roughly.

As I am not a man in the computer science world so my terminology
might be not the standard.  My intention is, roughly, like follows.

i18n =(or nearly equal) set of appropriate localization
     =(or nearly equal) support of multi-byte character

that is, in case of window manager, the main point is the capability
of presenting multi-byte character.

If i18n is not an appropriate technical term please choose any
term you think appropriate.  I do not care much what technical term
you will select.

Best Regards,			2000.3.11

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>