Re: policy summary (new packages without man pages)

>>"Owen" == Owen Dunn <owend@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

 >> What I'm really trying to say is that what we should expect from a
 >> maintainer is _commitment_.

 Owen> As I've understood it, the only thing that has really been
 Owen> required in the past of a maintainer (beyond any initial
 Owen> packaging) is to act as a clearing house for bug reports and
 Owen> feature requests.  If they have time to investigate and fix all
 Owen> reported bugs themselves, keep in communication with the
 Owen> upstream maintainer, &c., so much the better.

        I think I tend to disagree here. I really expect more of a
 debian developer than a glorified bureaucrat -- we are trying to
 create the best free distribution, and that often entails making the
 package *better* than what is created upstream, and then reporting
 the improvements back upstream.

 Owen> Many people working on Debian are students and have lots of
 Owen> time; some of them (and God only knows how) have the time
 Owen> actively to maintain many packages and still keep up with the
 Owen> mailing lists.  Many, though, have full-time jobs, copious
 Owen> other interests, a bevy of other free software projects, and so
 Owen> on, and weeks may go by where they are genuinely too busy with
 Owen> other things to contribute to Debian.  If you feel that's a
 Owen> lack of commitment and that they shouldn't be maintaining
 Owen> packages, I disagree.

        If their lack of time is lowering the quality of the
 distribution, I think they should get rid of some (all) their
 packages till they have more time to devote to the project.

        Membership in Debian is not an entitlement; a certain amount
 of commitment is definitely expected. Speaking as one who has not had
 a whole lot of time recently, I still thik that quality of Debian is
 more important than letting folks who are busy just neglect doing
 what thier packages require.

        We already have an NMU mechanism. What we need is a place
 where busy people can log their lack of time in the short term, and
 ask for NMU's.

 Owen> (a) Often highly competent people are very busy with many things, the
 Owen>     relative priorities of which only they can know.  This does not
 Owen>     mean they're not committed to Debian, or that they're not a great
 Owen>     asset to the Project when they are able to contribute.

        If they lack time in the short term, they can still give up
 their packages (maybe to the QA team), and take 'em back when they
 get more time.

 Owen> (b) We have mechanisms for other developers to rectify problems in
 Owen>     other maintainers' packages if the maintainer isn't active.

        Yes, and we need to have these mechanisms utilized more often.

 Owen> In the case in point, I think it's more important (in terms of
 Owen> benefit to Debian) that we have a package at all than that we
 Owen> have the `perfect' package;

        Though ``perfect'' is a troll, I still reject that quantity is
 better than quality argument. The social contract does not speak of
 the biggest distribution, it speaks of the best.

 Owen> the work of a maintainer on a package is still useful work even
 Owen> if that maintainer happens not to speak fluent nroff, or not to

        Learning pod2man is not onerous. You do not need to know nroff
 fluently to make a man package.

        If a developer can't learn pod2man to provide documentation
 for his package, I strongly suggest he does not have the time,
 motivation, or the competence to maintain a package.

 Owen> have the time to write a good manual page.  We should accept
 Owen> that work into the distribution, where other developers
 Owen> (through the BTS and mailing lists) can help fix any problems.
 Owen> This benefits Debian by encouraging the developer, and benefits
 Owen> the world with the new package; I don't see how rejecting that
 Owen> work benefits anyone.

        Quality control always benefits the project. Quality is indeed
 to be preferred to mediocre quantity.

        manoj
--
 /earth is 98% full ... please delete anyone you can.