Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 09:01:18PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > > I think what you're saying here is: the policy which supports Enhances:
> > > should be the same as the policy which supports Keywords:
> > >
> > > ?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Euh, why? They are completely unrelated. *completely*.

bandwidth savings.

Mostly my thinking here is that before we start talking about pieces of
the whole update the archive and fix main to be just main thing we'd
better figure out what we're actually going to do.

I have memories of a verbatim dist and a data dist and splitting the
(admittedly large) main archive into more managable discrete pieces which
were all free but would allow people to burn CDs with just groups of
packages that interest them (say ignoring hamradio and electronics
packages for many of us..)

I think we decided to have a data dist which would be part of Debian but
main would not be allowed to depend on things in it.  But I haven't seen
anything indicating if or when this will be implemented.  All this leads
me to believe we really need to know what we're going to do before we do
anything.

--
- Joseph Carter         GnuPG public key:   1024D/DCF9DAB3, 2048g/3F9C2A43
- knghtbrd@debian.org   20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3