Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 10:28:23AM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
>   >I think the keyring belongs in non-US/main, but it can't get there until
>   >20 September 2000 unless we change our policy to not consider US patents
>   >as making something automatically non-free.
>
> I did not realise that was the policy, but I see this in 2.1.4:
[..]

Have a look at #46522, it's a cleaner proposal IMO.  It makes the
definition of non-free exactly what non-free is:  Software which doesn't
meet the DFSG.  This means other software which can't go into the main
archive (because of patents or whatever) would need a new home, such as
non-US.

This wouldn't make things like mp3 encoders instantly packagable.  It
would however mean that "gimp-nonfree" would be technically in main
(though it be non-US/main, which is perfect for something that's free but
contains LZW code to make GIFs...)

--
- Joseph Carter         GnuPG public key:   1024D/DCF9DAB3, 2048g/3F9C2A43
- knghtbrd@debian.org   20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3