Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

>         Since when has political corectness and quick hacks been
>  favoured over doing things teh right way? The correct thing is not to
>  coerce the relationship into what it is not because we have been
>  cowed by the FSF.

I would encourage people to reread sections 4 and 5 of the social
contract.  Debian *acknowledges* the existence of non-free software,
and "We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of programs
that don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines."  So are we
going to make life difficult for them by removing the suggests
information?

As has been suggested by Manoj (and others?), the important thing is
that (FSF) people should not be shown the information by default, but
if they wish to have non-free parts of Debian, they should see the
non-free suggestions.

Perhaps a Suggests-Nonfree keyword would be useful?  No heavy
pre-processing required, and no internal knowledge of which packages
are non-free would be needed.  Just hide the field by default.

   Julian

P.S. Should the debian-keyring package now be split, with the gpg
keyring placed in main, and the pgp keyring in contrib?

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/