Re: Source dependencies: are we ready?

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 08:00:47AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > I'd create a separate metapackage for that, as I already proposed elsewhere.
>
> But then dpkg-dev should still depend on that (which would be good and let
> it get rid of all the other deps it needs/has).

On the contrary: dpkg-dev should depend on what it needs, and the
metapackage should depend on dpkg-dev.  This way the only thing that
needs to be preserved is the name of the metapackage; at some later date
dpkg-dev need not be build-essential (think about Klee's dpkg-source,
for example).  The idea is that you only need to apt-get install the
metapackage and whatever the Build-* fields specify to build a package.

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)