Re: Source dependencies: are we ready?

> He means have that as an ability, but I don't see that as relevant
> to what we *need* for source depends to be useful.

Yep :-)

> As an aside, I don't think the present dpkg-buildpackage is a
> suitable platform for dependency checking, being that it's only a
> shell script.

This was my idea, too. I'm currently at writing a longer mail with
some thoughts about this.

> I've eliminated the tetex-bin dependency, BTW.

Ah, no more readlink calls? Fine, deleting it...

> bzip2 hadn't occurred to me as a dependency, but I guess it is.

Yep, it's needed by tar xIf ... you use to unpack the tarballs.

> What else? patch?

Yep, but that's build-essential, as it's already used by dpkg-source.

Other dependencies I have registered: gettext and time. gettext is
pretty ok, time is a bit unusual but no problem.

> libc-dev
> gcc
> g++
> libstdc++-dev
> patch
> make
> dpkg-dev
> binutils
> bison

Please not bison, it's too specific. My additions (all essential anyway):

fileutils
shellutils
dpkg

Roman