Re: [PROPOSAL] changing policy on compiling with -g .. a better way

Hi,
>>"Ben" == Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

 >> No.  Just set up the regular build target so that it honours the setting
 >> of BUILD_DEBUG and add this to debian/rules:
 >>
 >> build-debug: BUILD_DEBUG=y
 >> build-debug: build
 >>
 >> You can use other make variables of course.

 Ben> I think sticking with an env will make it much easier for some
 Ben> one to just use dpkg-buildpackage (without modification) and
 Ben> call it like:

 Ben> BUILD_DEBUG=y && dpkg-buildpackage -B

        I think you are missing the point. The method above is a
 superset: it allows the user to use either or both these methods. So
 one can still do what you suggest.

 Ben> I think this is as far as policy should go on the requirements.
 Ben> Internally, the debian/rules file can do whatever it wants, so
 Ben> long as it either,
 Ben> a) honors the old policy regarding building with -g by default,
 Ben>    or
 Ben> b) honors this environment variable.

        I think I like this. One can then set the variable, and do
 dpkg-buildpackage, or even use a build daemon to build a whole set of
 debuggable packages, should the need arise.

        One can still suggest that a two line addition
build-debug: BUILD_DEBUG=y
build-debug: build
        Would add the OPTIONAL build-debug target, which can still be
 useful for some people.

        manoj
--
 Repel them.  Repel them.  Induce them to relinquish the
 spheroid. Indiana University football cheer