Re: [PROPOSAL] changing policy on compiling with -g .. a better way

> --------
> The package can by default build without -g if it also provides a mechanism
> to easily be rebuilt with debugging information. This can be done by providing
> a "build-debug" make target, or allowing the user to specify "BUILD_DEBUG=yes"
> in the environment while compiling that package.
> --------

It seems you don't need more seconds, but I second this anyway :-)

As a fellow buildd admin I can say that -g is practically useless,
however the wasted CPU cycles aren't too bad. The m68k buildd should
be the slowest but still has about 50% idle time... Anyway, the debug
infos are useless, because every successfull build is purged
immediately, so the binaries with the debug infos are gone...

Some more comments: I'd say policy should explicitly say how binaries
with -g can be built. This saves the user from studying debian/rules
in detail how to do it. And since the build targets of contain a lot
of commands, a second build-debug target often will mean to double
most of these commands. So I'd vote for an environment variable like
BUILD_DEBUG. There also might be a switch for dpkg-buildpackage that
sets this var.

Roman