Re: [PROPOSAL] changing policy on compiling with -g .. a better way

Hi,
>>"Ben" == Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

 Ben> As a buildd admin, I want to congratulate the original policy on
 Ben> all the wasted cpu cycles it has cost my system by forcing
 Ben> packages to compile with -g even though those same binaries will
 Ben> be stripped later of this costly debugging information.

        Starting a new proposal with sarcasm and belittling the
 original policy process is not very helpful

 Ben> -------- The package can by default build without -g if it also
 Ben> provides a mechanism to easily be rebuilt with debugging
 Ben> information. This can be done by providing a "build-debug" make
 Ben> target, or allowing the user to specify "BUILD_DEBUG=yes" in the
 Ben> environment while compiling that package.
 Ben> --------

        I think we should specify one, or the other, or both, so that
 people do not have to grok rules files to determine which m,ethod to
 use. The, one can also set build daemons to build a debuggable
 distribution if one so desires.

        However, have you looked at the cost of this proposal? This
 entails that one massage upstream Makefiles (or several Makefiles) to
 take not of an environment variable to add debugging flags. That is
 more difficult than a static, one time edit of the Makefiles involved
 to add the -g and the strip commands.

        Please note that you may have to take additional action to
 pass these variables to a sub-make. Except by explicit request,
 `make' exports a variable only if it is either defined in the
 environment initially or set on the command line, and if its name
 consists only of letters, numbers, and underscores.

        Could people on this list try it on their packages and see how
 hard this would be? That would give us a cross section of all
 packages, hopefully.

        I would rather we have some numbers before we agre to do this.

        manoj
--
 "Our journey toward the stars has progressed swiftly.  In 1926 Robert
 H. Goddard launched the first liquid-propelled rocket, achieving an