Re: [PROPOSAL] changing policy on compiling with -g .. a better way

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 02:55:18PM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 11:51:46AM +0200, Roman Hodek wrote:
> > And since the build targets of contain a lot
> > of commands, a second build-debug target often will mean to double
> > most of these commands.
>
> No.  Just set up the regular build target so that it honours the setting
> of BUILD_DEBUG and add this to debian/rules:
>
> build-debug: BUILD_DEBUG=y
> build-debug: build
>
> You can use other make variables of course.

I think sticking with an env will make it much easier for some one to just
use dpkg-buildpackage (without modification) and call it like:

BUILD_DEBUG=y && dpkg-buildpackage -B

I think this is as far as policy should go on the requirements.
Internally, the debian/rules file can do whatever it wants, so long as it
either, a) honors the old policy regarding building with -g by default, or
b) honors this environment variable.

Ben