Re: /var/lib, /var/mail

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 10:36:20PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Then you have not being paying attention to this list. 5
>  formal objections shot down a proposal less than a week ago.

Five, yes.  This was one - and more of a statement of intent than actual
invoking of the thing.

>         You are most welcome to suggest more exemplerary wwording.

If I figure out the whole text, I might.

>         Firstly, if you are thinking  "dissenting opinion", then state
>  it so. Do not subvert a last resort protocol for that.

I was not subverting anything - as I stated, I was not aware that there
is a veto clause, and it was never my intention to veto anything.

(Btw, if a "formal objection" really is a veto, we should call it that
and not use a phrase which can be easily misunderstood to mean something
else.)

>  Secondly, this
>  is not a formal process at all. This is an informal process between
>  people who are trying to get something done.

I don't believe there is such a thing as a written-down informal process.
If you need to spell out the rules, it's formal.  This one is lightweight,
true, but formal anyway.

>         I wish that people who can't come to the table in a spirit of
>  cooperation please reconsider,

My position is never final.  Valid arguments against my position will
change it.

>  However, the policy document can
>  say "Blah is the long term goal, but, in the short term, pending a
>  means of a gradual transition, we shall do foo instead".

Agreed.  That would not be "sanctioning in policy something one should
not do".  My objection was to Knghtbrd's idea of entering something
into the policy documents and relying on the developers' "common sense"
so that the something will not actually get used.

>         We don't.

debian/changelog?  It counts as a record...

>  And why are you not trying for a compromise

In order to reach synthesis, one must first state the thesis and the
antithesis.  We can start moving towards the compromise only after the
opposing positions are known.

   "... memory leaks are quite acceptable in many applications ..."
    (Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)