Re: query about /etc

(Cc'ed to Mr FHS, who I suspect's on this list anyway)

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 01:42:33PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Richard" == Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:
>  Richard> I think it's really nice that Debian has *all* configuration
>  Richard> info in the /etc directory, with no worries about other
>  Richard> places to look.  That was one of the qualities that
>  Richard> attracted me to it when I joined.
>         I agree. Perhaps a /etc/share?

ie, so programs search for configuration information in ~/.foo, /etc/foo,
and /etc/share/foo in that order, or something similar, so we can have
distinct user-level, host-level, and domain-level configuration.

This is being addressed in Havoc P's gconf library (which also allows
mandatory settings as well), which will hopefully turn into the backend
for Joey H's debconf program, as well as most Gnome apps; which might
give us an end run around this problem in a few months.

OTOH, an /etc/share doesn't sound like a bad idea for normal Unix
programs, and seems much easier to run rdist on than selected entries
in /etc. I think the FHS (and thus policy) could reasonably recommend
the use /etc/share/* in this way. Unless there's some prior art that
suggests other locations, I guess.

Is that a possibility?

Cheers,
aj

       ``There's nothing worse than people with a clue.
             They're always disagreeing with you.''
                                 -- Andrew Over