Re: [3.0.0.0] Policy manual copyright notice.

Hi,

 Steve> I'd be happy to see "Debian". "The Debian Policy List" seems
 Steve> too nebulous, and SPI seems to out-of-the-loop.

 Gord> Just don't forget that copyright can only be assigned to legal
 Gord> entities.  ``Debian'' is not a legal entity, but an individual or an
 Gord> ``Inc.'' like SPI is.

 Gord> If you put something like `Copyright (C) 1999 The Debian Project',
 Gord> without naming a legal entity, then it'll probably be treated as a
 Gord> pseudonym, which has different meanings in different countries.

        I guess since SPI was created to be the legal entity for
 Debian, and to hold the money etc for the project, that should be OK.

 Steve> Hmmm, is it necessary that contributors formally assign
 Steve> copyright to whoever ?

 Gord> For significant (say, more than 40 line) changes, either their
 Gord> name as an individual should be added, or else an assignment
 Gord> should be made.  Informal assignments are probably fine:
 Gord> something like ``by submitting a proposal, you agree to assign
 Gord> your changes to Software in the Public Interest, Inc.''

        Could the people in the CC: field so assign the copyrights?
 These are the people who had significant input to the policy document
 recently. I would rather that we have people assign the copyright to
 SPI, rather than have a burgeoning list of copyright holders. Should
 we create a list of contributors to the policy document, instead?

        manoj
--
 A coward is a hero with a wife, kids, and a mortgage.  -- Marvin
 Kitman