Re: /usr/share/doc (was Re: weekly policy summary)

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 03:26:22PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> >  Giuliano> Unfortunately, various people have pre-empted the policy
> >  Giuliano> discussion and have started using /usr/share/doc already.
> >
> >         There is no policy prohibiting such a move, on the ocntrary,
> >  policy dictates that a move like that happen.
>
> So is it your opinion that we should just give up and move?
>
> I'm trying to decide if I should just give up and make debhelper use the FHS
> directories with no transition.

To be quite honest Joey, at this point I'd suggest you just take one of
the workable solutions we've discussed and just implement the damned
things in debhelper, and make it known how you've done it.  For the most
part most of us don't actually CARE how it's done and I have NO DESIRE to
wait for a general resolution to solve this, which seems the only way that
it's going to happen.

Just enough people don't like symlinks to make that not a consensus.

Just enough people don't like trying to move entire trees to make that not
a consensus.

Just enough people want us not to move anything at all (screw the FHS and
standards, right?  (can you tell my bias)) to make that also be on the
plate.

And then there are the people who think that we should just say screw
backwards compatibility and just move the directories without bothering
with transition.  Unfortunately many of them are already uploading
packages, which means there's a time limit on the decision.  It needs to
be made now while there's still time to clean up their mess if we're going
to clean it up at all.

My vote is use your own technical judgement.  You've demonstrated that you
know what you're doing at least more often than not (*grin and duck*) and
you've got just shy of 70% of the distribution behind you using debhelper.
This pretty much means whatever you implement becomes de-facto policy.

That's probably not the best thing to abuse regularly, but in this case a
bunch of politicking and red tape and whining from small groups of 5
people out of 500 or so in opposition to every single possible solution is
going to get us absolutely nowhere.  Else we'll end up like every other
bureaucracy out there.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3