Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 02:49:18PM +0000,  Georg Bauer wrote:
> In article <19990503093420.D18597@debian.org>, Joseph Carter
> <knghtbrd@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >I ask you again, is a perl script which reads freshmeat only good enough
> >for contrib because scoop hasn't published sources to his CGIs?
>
> Hu? You don't access Freshmeat over the free protocol HTTP? Funny.

So...

The fact that freshmeat uses HTTP as its transport makes such a client
for freshmeat okay.  BUT because tik uses something else (outlined in the
file PROTOCOL included with it and released under the GPL) it's not
useful and the fact that the protocol is as free as HTTP for the purposes
of Debian's DFSG doesn't matter?

Freshmeat's CGIs are as free as AOL's Instant Message server.

> To be specific: a CGI that accesses Freshmeat is something that could be
> used for other purposes, like accessing other web-based services ( even
> free ones). A AOL messenger replacement is only usefull for accessing AOL.
> That's a big difference. On the other hand, if TIK (I don't know it, so I
> don't know about it's features) would support POP3 or IMAP4, too, that
> would be ok - now it would only be a mail client that additionally
> supports AOL. It's a grey area, I think.

tik includes the protocol it uses under the GPL.  Any published protocol
(ie, not requiring NDAs and the like) can be implemented just as well as
HTTP and POP3.

<Cylord> Would it be acceptable to debian policy if we inserted a crontab
         by default into potato that emailed bill.gates@microsoft.com
         every morning with an email that read, "Don't worry, linux is a
         fad..."