Re: the freedom to boycott non-free software

Hi,
>>"Gord" == Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@trick.fig.org> writes:

 Gord> I keep forgetting that not everybody thinks the same way I do.

        Quite so.

 Gord> I think that the FSF definition of free software
 Gord> (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) will soon include a fifth
 Gord> level of freedom:

 Gord> ``The freedom to use the best features of the program, while
 Gord> boycotting all non-free software. (freedom 4)''

 Gord> This is just an approximate wording... I'm sure there'll be better
 Gord> words for it later.  Note that this will put the GNU definition of
 Gord> Free Software in direct conflict with Open Source(tm).  Many suits
 Gord> will not be pleased.

        And, I think, would take the Free software foundation furhter
 away from the Linux community in general. So be it. It is
 certainly their right. However, I think that I am glad that Linus is
 in charge, and he seems less radical

 Gord> Last week, the FSF hired me to coordinate the release of GNU 1.0, and
 Gord> I, personally, would like it to be *Debian* GNU 1.0.

 Gord> If GNU accepts the freedom to boycott, but Debian chooses to reject
 Gord> it, then I will have no choice but to fork a new distribution, and
 Gord> encourage people to leave Debian. :(

        Please do so. I personally think that would be better rather
 than tryuing to shoe horn Debian in the the FSF way of thinking.

        It is my opinion, and shared by a number of other developers,
 that Debian is way less radical than the FSF, more middle of the road
 (I wish Alex were here to balance you).

        Id would be perfect. A distribution based on Debian from
 Corel. A distribution based on Debian from the FSF. We listen to
 both, but are not propreitary, or radical, as either of the derived
 distributions.

 Gord> I think that's a highly unlikely scenario, though... there are so many
 Gord> different ways we can accept the freedom to boycott.

        I think you may have to rethink that.

        manoj
--
 A programmer from a very large computer company went to a software
 conference and then returned to report to his manager, saying: "What