Re: Hey! Why does everybody love flaming so much? [was: `pure']

On Wed, May 05, 1999 at 07:39:54AM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:
> Proprietary protocols are a problem.  Let's create a new distribution
> to set apart the packages that can work just as well (or better) when
> connected to a network that uses only free software (say an intranet
> that runs only Debian GNU `main').
>
> Free ICQ clients fail this requirement, because on such a network,
> there wouldn't be any servers, so it would be silly to claim that they
> work ``just as well''.

ICQ is a _DOCUMENTED_ protocol.  The clients couldn't have been written
freely without that documentation could they?  There are also at least
two projects working to create free ICQ servers, one of them actually has
an alpha quality server.

Based on that you did not know this (and I didn't either prior to this
coming up) I believe this adiquate proof that you don't know about every
single free software project in existance.  It is also my theory that not
one single person does.  Someone who does not know about every free
software project in existance or even about most of them is at best a
pathetic judge of whether or not such free software exists.

You're free to propose this, but like James' proposal it's going to
require a vote.  I suppose once the logo issue is settled we could put it
to a vote if the ideas' sponsors really want to, but I intend to vote
AGAINST any such arbitrary decisions of softwares' usefulness.

> distribution             goodness/freedom rating
> ------------             -----------------------
> pure                     100.0% (entirely standalone)
> main                      99.7% (talks to the enemy)
> contrib                   50.0% (breeds with the enemy)
> non-free                   0.1% (hell, at least it's *software*)
>
> Maybe a better name for `pure' would be `holy', which simply means
> `set apart.' ;)
>
> Comments?

Yah, you're free to do this yourself if you like, but I would be deeply
offended by the double standard this would create.  As those who have
argued with me about such issues before know all too well, I _HATE_
double standards.

Eric Raymond:  I want to live in a world where software doesn't suck.

Richard Stallman:  Any software that isn't free sucks.

Linus Torvalds:  I'm interested in free beer.

Richard Stallman:  That's okay, as long as I don't have to drink it.  I
don't like beer.
        -- LinuxWorld Expo panel, 4 March 1999