Re: Offtopic: ICQ and IRC

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 07:04:33PM +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> >> By Mirabilis or still by the guy who worked it out by sniffing packets?
> >
> >IIRC, the answer is at this point "both"...  Mirabilis did release
> >documentation on the protocol.
>
> Do you have a URL please?

Not immediately handy.  I don't like ICQ.  At least one of the clients
has it, I suppose I could look through the contents file or something
like that.

> >The fact that AOL now owns both standards in instant
> >messaging has sparked a project to create a free ICQ server.
>
> Something I've never understood is why an "ICQ shaped" IRC client could
> not be made. We have away messages, we have private messages, we have
> channels, we have notify lists - AFAICT the only difference is in the UI
> of the clients and the number of servers.

I've never understood why anyone in their right mind would use ICQ
period.  AOL Instant Messager is far more sane.  And you won't catch me
using that either.

The ICQ/AIM interface makes my skin crawl and my wrists ache as I think
about all the mousing required and how poorly at best it could be done
without a GUI.

<Chalky> gcc is the best compressor ever ported to linux. it can turn
         12MB of kernel source (and that's .debbed) into a 500k kernel