Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

Hi,

 Branden> On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 04:14:09PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
 >> > b) at some stage there was documentation for motif, but no lesstif.
 >> >    Would motif linked programs have been suitable for main because it
 >> >    was a documented protocol which one could replace?
 >>
 >> No, linking isn't the same as connecting to a server IMO.

 Branden> Pure evasion.

        Evasion? Evasion? Thems fighting words, almost ;-)

 Branden> You are using the existence of documentation for a protocol
 Branden> that has no de facto free implementation as justification
 Branden> for a program's inclusion in main, IF policy were such that
 Branden> it would be excluded because of the non-existence of that de
 Branden> facto free implementation.

        Nope. I think that the correct distinction is that in one
 case, some one has come up with a fully free, standalone program that
 does not require any non-free element to exists on you machine, yet
 empowers you to function in a ghastly proprietary world out there.

        Far from promoting a non-free library, it enables you to
 participate in a a distributed transaction; and yes, the remote end
 may be using proprietary software, and yes, there is yet no free
 equivalent. That shall come.

        You think that free software emerged full blown from the minds
 of the creators in the beginning? You think we did not have to
 bootstrap on propreitary systems?

        We have a free client side. Rejoice in it. If enough people
 use and like the software, we may have a free replacement of the
 server side one day.

        manoj
 stepping down from the soap box
--
 But Officer, I stopped for the last one, and it was green!