Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

On 3 May 1999, James Troup wrote:

> > If the protocol is published the lack of a free server AT THE MOMENT
> > should not penalize the software.
>
> Blah.  If a program, foobar, is linked against the non-free libevil,
> it goes in contrib.  The fact that someone is planning, writing or
> even thinking about writing a libgood DFSG replacement for libevil,
> does *not* mean we put foobar in the main.  In the same way the fact
> that there is _currently_ no free server is all that matters.

Agreed. If the whole deal, which should include all the packages it relies
upon (required packages), isn't available to be put in main, then it
should be a very obvious decision as to where the package that relies on
them should go.

Of course, when the situation changes, THEN you can move it into main --
but why should it be there any sooner?

--
Brock Rozen                                              brozen@torah.org
Director of Technical Services                             (410) 602-1350