Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

Hi,

        BTW, if we are deciding to throw out free software cause it is
 useless, I vote we throw out vi, which is perfectly useless with
 *any* amount of non-free software ;-)

        To be more serious, I think deciding to throw software out of
 debian on merit or utility (or purity -- remember that one?) is
 starting down a slippery slope.

        If it requires non-free software to compile, or install, that
 is one thing. enabling a free machine to talk to the big, bad,
 non-free world out there is not. It enables us to be a more, umm,
 _capable_, part of that world until we have free alternatives to the
 components we are missing.

        Rome was not built in a day. All non-free servers need not be
 replaced in one either. A client is a good start.

        Pissing off people who are attempting to create free software
 in a largely proprietary world and castigating them because they did
 not do a complete job hurts the community.

        Remember, GNU started with a not-yet-so-good compiler running
 on a proprietary system.

        manoj
 who thinks people oftern lose sight of the big picture
--
 "It is tempting to take the easy political path ... to get peace at
 any price now, even though I know that a peace of humiliation for the
 M. Nixon, April 30, 1970