Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

> Hi,
> >>"James" == James Troup <james@nocrew.org> writes:
>
>  >> Server != library. There is no linking.  There is no requirement to use
>  >> it with a non-free server.
>
>  James> Hello?  No requirement?  What, pray tell, does one do with TiK if one
>  James> doesn't connect to a server (non-free)?
>
>         Theoretically, one does not provode the software to do
>  _anything_. You may look at it. You may feel inspired to write a free
>  server. You may take pleasure in the number of packages you have
>  installed.

Then, _why_ do we have contrib in the first place?  If the software
doesn't have to be functional/useful/whatever, why don't we just
abandon contrib and stick all the free software which depends on
non-free software to be in main?  After all, you can look at it.  You
can feel inspired to write a free replacement for the non-free part.
You can take pleasure in the number of packages you have installed.

>         Do we have the right to deprive users of choices just because
>  we see no reason to do stuff? Sounds a trifle draconian.

`Deprive users of choices'?  Come again?  We're talking about putting
something in contrib rather than main, not banning the program,
hunting down the author and gutting him with a spoon.

>  James> I'd say the necessity to connect to the server before one
>  James> can do what the majority of users would do with TiK is a
>  James> requirement.
>
>         Their choice.

No, this is the point, it's not their choice.  A user has no choice
but to use a non-free server.  Or do sweet FA with the software worth
talking about.  I didn't think Debian was in the business of promoting
non-free software?

~~~~

Why is a requirement that is in a Depends line so much more binding
that a requirement which isn't?  It's still a requirement.

--
James