Re: DRAFT: Fixing the architecture query options of dpkg.

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Jules Bean wrote:
> > The ability to invoke debian/rules <target> by hand is not really a
> > 'technical advantage', though convenient.
>
> It is an advantage: I do "debian/rules binary" by hand quite a lot in
> testing packages, and only run dpkg-buildpackage on the final result.
> For some package I only call debian/rules to build subpackages instead
> of all binaries.
>
> If I was forced to used dpkg-buildpackage everytime I'ld loose a lot of
> flexibilty which would really annoy me.

I am continuing this argument largely for the sake of it, I admit, but
that wasn't my intention.

My intention was to add a new option to dpkg-buildpackage, so it behaves
something like this:

Faked documentation:

'dpkg-buildpackage' is a tool which simplifies the process of building
packages, by setting up the environment the package expects to run in.
If run without arguments, it will run 'debian/rules clean', build a source
package, run 'debian/rules build', then 'debian/rules binary', create .dsc
and .changes files and sign them.

-r<command>  Use <command> to execute debian/rules binary with root (or
faked root) privileges

--target <target> Don't build package, just run 'debian/rules target'

--cross-target <gnu-spec> Cross compile package for the given OS.

-----

Basically, the proposed modifications to support convenient
cross-compiling, and also to correctly support full architecture/os
strings, work on setting environment variables.  Since we might expect
debian/rules files to only work properly when these variables are set, it
seems to make sense to provide a tool which correctly sets them.
Furthermore, dpkg-buildpackage could (it seems to me) be easily turned
into that tool, since those tasks mesh well with dpkg-buildpackage's
current task.

And I really don't think that typing 'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
--target binary' is all that much harder that 'fakeroot debian/rules
binary'.

Jules