Re: DRAFT: Fixing the architecture query options of dpkg.

On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 07:28:40PM +1100, Martin Mitchell wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > The only drawback I can see: If you do cross compilation, you can't easily
> > run "debian/rules target" and expect it to work. You'd need to set the
> > variables correctly.
>
> That's already the case, even before your proposal.

Right, this is why I am not worried. We can only improve the situation.

> > Currently, cross compilation is not supported at all
> > (without major hacks and dpkg-cross), so this is not a big deal.
>
> At all?? I think that dpkg-cross does a very reasonable job, and I've not
> had to use any 'major hacks' to cross compile packages.

I am talking about the debian/rules files. There is currently no way to
write a good debian/rules files for cross compilation.

I know dpkg-cross, and it does a good job to work around it. Remember it is
a _hack_. It's a hack which works quite good, but it is limited due to
"broken" debian/rules and upstream Makefiles.

* dpkg-cross does only work, if the package in question does not generate
  binaries to run on the build machine. Some examples:

  * perl runs "./perl" in the makefile and ${BUILDDIR}/perl in the
    debian/rules file.
  * bash has "SHELL=bash" in the debian/rules file.
    bash also compiles mksignames to generate a header file.
  * ncurses does compile tic and runs the builded tic, not the one already
    available on the host machine.
  * some other packages (ash, IIRC), generate binaries to build some source
    files.

* No prgram I have seen runs "configure --target=something", they all run
  "configure something", which is not what they mean.

* Some debian/rules have hard coded "linux" in' the GNU arch part, which
  doesn't work on the Hurd.

Note that I am experiencing more problems than you, because I build
cross-architecture and cross-OS (!).

I would like to improve the situation. The amount of work I needed to put
into cross compilation was too high, but it was worth it, if I can sent in
patches and corrections, so people after me will have les problems.

Thank you,
Marcus