Re: Documentation license problem solved: OpenContent License (OPL)

On Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 12:54:06AM +0200, Jens Ritter wrote:

> OpenContent wants to make sure the "content" is free
> GPL wants to make sure the source is with you -- always.

Currently, you are right. This is the reason why David made up a group.
Maybe the old license should be removed from the website, as it does not
reflect the current development.

> GPL applied to documentation ensures the content is free, or doesn't it?

I'm not sure. The terms are at least confusing when applied to something
other than software.

Note that texinfo files from the GNU project are not covered by the GPL but
by another license (much shorter and clearer). The goal of OpenContent is to
write a license which is as free as the GPL but more clear and applicable to
all data entities without guessing about the actual meaning.

Thank you,
Marcus