Documentation license problem solved: OpenContent License (OPL)

I think our ongoing problem of finding an appropriate license for
documentation has been solved.

On slashdot.org today, an article about the OpenContent License (OPL,
pronounced 'opal') was posted.

The license looks perfect for our use. I've included it at the
bottom of this message.

It specifies that distribution, modifications, and copying are
all okay, provided all modifications are clearly labeled
and credited.

This sounds like a perfect solution for the Debian project's ongoing
conundrum regarding documentation licenses, which often do not fit the
DFSG, including things like Perl's documentation license.

If we could push the use of the OPL license and specify in the
DFSG or make a DFDG that OPL is an example of a documentation
license we consider free, I think our problems would be solved. :)

Here's the license, taken from http://www.opencontent.org/opl.html .

I'd enjoy comments on this license -- I'm surprised it hasn't
poked its head up in the Debian scene before.

   OpenContent License (OPL)
   Version 1.0, July 14. 1998
   This document outlines the principles underlying the OpenContent (OC)
   movement and may be redistributed provided it remains unaltered. For
   legal purposes, this document is the license under which OpenContent
   is made available for use.
   The original version of this document may be found at
   http://www.opencontent.org/opl.html
   LICENSE
   Terms and Conditions for Copying, Distributing, and Modifying
   Items other than copying, distributing, and modifying the Content with
   which this license was distributed (such as using, etc.) are outside
   the scope of this license.
   1. You may copy and distribute exact replicas of the OpenContent (OC)
   as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and
   appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and
   disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this
   License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other
   recipients of the OC a copy of this License along with the OC. You may
   at your option charge a fee for the media and/or handling involved in
   creating a unique copy of the OC for use offline, you may at your
   option offer instructional support for the OC in exchange for a fee,
   or you may at your option offer warranty in exchange for a fee. You
   may not charge a fee for the OC itself. You may not charge a fee for
   the sole service of providing access to and/or use of the OC via a
   network (e.g. the Internet), whether it be via the world wide web,
   FTP, or any other method.
   2. You may modify your copy or copies of the OpenContent or any
   portion of it, thus forming works based on the Content, and distribute
   such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above,
   provided that you also meet all of these conditions:
   a) You must cause the modified content to carry prominent notices
   stating that you changed it, the exact nature and content of the
   changes, and the date of any change.
   b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
   whole or in part contains or is derived from the OC or any part
   thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties
   under the terms of this License, unless otherwise permitted under
   applicable Fair Use law.
   These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If
   identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the OC, and
   can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
   themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
   sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you
   distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
   on the OC, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of this
   License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the entire
   whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it.
   Exceptions are made to this requirement to release modified works free
   of charge under this license only in compliance with Fair Use law
   where applicable.
   3. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not
   signed it. However, nothing else grants you permission to copy,
   distribute or modify the OC. These actions are prohibited by law if
   you do not accept this License. Therefore, by distributing or
   translating the OC, or by deriving works herefrom, you indicate your
   acceptance of this License to do so, and all its terms and conditions
   for copying, distributing or translating the OC.
   NO WARRANTY
   4. BECAUSE THE OPENCONTENT (OC) IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS
   NO WARRANTY FOR THE OC, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
   EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR
   OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE OC "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
   EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
   IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
   PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK OF USE OF THE OC IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE OC
   PROVE FAULTY, INACCURATE, OR OTHERWISE UNACCEPTABLE YOU ASSUME THE
   COST OF ALL NECESSARY REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
   5. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN
   WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MIRROR
   AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE OC AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR
   DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL
   DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE OC, EVEN IF
   SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
   DAMAGES.

--
Brought to you by the letters M and F and the number 0.
"It's cold.. and there are wolves.." -- Grampa Simpson