Re: Adding filters in printcap

Hi,
>>"Francesco" == Francesco Potorti` <F.Potorti@cnuce.cnr.it> writes:

 Francesco> I suggest that the policy makes clear that packages should
 Francesco> add proper filter entries in /etc/printcap.  For example,
 Francesco> the package tetex-bin should add an fx entry in all
 Francesco> printers in /etc/termcap.

	Umm, is there a program to allow packages to add such entries?
 /etc/printcap belongs to (on my machine) lprng, and, moreover, is a
 conffile.

	Policy explicitly forbids packages from modifying a file that
 does not belong to them (3.3.7. Configuration files). It goes on to
 say:
     If two or more packages use the same configuration file, one of these
     packages has to be defined as *owner* of the configuration file, i.e.,
     it has to list the file as `conffile' and has to provide a program
     that modifies the configuration file.

     The other packages have to depend on the *owner* package and use that
     program to update the configuration file.

	Also, I am not sure this deserves being in the policy manual
 itself; surely the owner of /etc/printcap can  come to an
 accomodation with other package maintainers without having to e
 bludgeoned on the head with a policy directive?

	One possible obstacle would lie in the complexity of the
 script involved; Care would havbe to be taken to preserve the
 structure of the entries (and comments), and allow deletion as well
 as addition of entries, and ensure the update script is idempotent.

	manoj
--
 Operating-system software is the program that orchestrates all the
 basic functions of a computer. The Wall Street Journal, Tuesday,