Re: Proposal for moving /usr/doc

Hi,
>>"Francesco" == Francesco Potorti` <F.Potorti@cnuce.cnr.it> writes:

 Francesco> /usr/doc is big, and I would like to move it to a
 Francesco> different partition via a symlink.  Unfortunately, some
 Francesco> relative links inside it point to other files under the
 Francesco> /usr tree, which is okay by Debian policy.  I suggest that
 Francesco> links links under /usr/doc that point outside of /usr/doc
 Francesco> are required to be absolute.

	This is a big can of worms. This has been discussed
 before. Please read the archives for the rationale behind the
 decision.

	As a solution to your problem, If your partition is,
 say. /disk1; create /disk1/doc and symlink that to /usr/doc and
 things shall be fine. Alternately, create a new partition for the
 docments, and mount it as /usr/doc.

	The problem with declaring this directory and that drectory
 have absolute symlinks is where does on draw the line? Does one
 totally outlaw relative links? For example, /usr/lib is bigger than
 /usr/doc on my machine.
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda8            1026067  606444   366611     62%   /usr/lib
__> du -s /usr/doc
196303  /usr/doc

        I think you can never be sure of not breaking _any_ symlinks
 on _any_ system; there are too many different styles of operation out
 there.

        Throw in AFS and DFS, and who know what you have out there?

        I think, though, you shall catch the majority of installations
 if you were careful of the top level directories. Oh, I can see
 people breaking up /var and /usr (heck, I do that on my home
 machine); but unless you mount them at a different level below /, you
 should be fine.

        So where does one draw the line? I think just disallowing
 symbolic links *between* top level directories is enough.

	manoj
--
 Let no guilty man escape. U.S. Grant